For travelers looking for a relaxing and luxurious stay in Kyoto, staying at a hotel or ryokan with a private onsen is a must. Kyoto is home to several hotels and ryokans that offer private onsens, which are perfect for couples or solo travelers who want to unwind and rejuvenate in a serene and tranquil environment.
Some of the best hotels and ryokans in Kyoto with private onsens include Kyo Yunohana Resort Suisen, Kamishichiken Oku, and Nazuna Kyoto Gosho. These properties offer a range of amenities and services, including private hot spring baths, traditional Japanese meals, and comfortable accommodations.
Travelers can also consider staying at Ryokan Gion Sano, Arashiyama Benkei, or Kyoto Machiya Fukune, which are also known for their private onsens and impeccable service. With so many options to choose from, travelers are sure to find the perfect hotel or ryokan with a private onsen for their next stay in Kyoto.
What is a Private Onsen?
A private onsen is a hot spring bath that is reserved for the exclusive use of one person or group. It is a popular feature in Japanese ryokans and hotels, particularly in Kyoto, where many establishments offer private onsen facilities.
Unlike public onsens, which are communal and require guests to bathe together, private onsens offer a more intimate and relaxing experience. They are often located in secluded areas, such as gardens or outdoor terraces, and provide a peaceful atmosphere for guests to unwind and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the hot spring water.
Private onsens can be indoor or outdoor, and may be made of various materials such as stone, wood, or ceramic. They are typically filled with natural hot spring water, which is known for its healing properties due to its high mineral content. The water is usually kept at a temperature between 38°C and 42°C, which is considered optimal for soaking and relaxation.
It is worth noting that some private onsens require guests to book in advance or pay an additional fee. However, many ryokans and hotels in Kyoto offer private onsen facilities as part of their room packages, making it a convenient and affordable option for travelers. Additionally, visitors to Kyoto can save money on transportation by purchasing a Japan Rail Pass or other travel passes, which offer unlimited access to JR trains and buses in the area.
Overall, a private onsen is a luxurious and rejuvenating experience that is not to be missed during a trip to Kyoto. With so many ryokans and hotels offering this feature, visitors are sure to find a private onsen that suits their needs and budget.
Benefits of Staying in a Hotel or Ryokan with Private Onsen
Traveling to Kyoto is a dream come true for many tourists. With its beautiful temples, stunning gardens, and rich cultural heritage, Kyoto is a top destination for those who want to experience Japan’s unique charm. However, after a long day of sightseeing, nothing beats the relaxation and rejuvenation that a private onsen can provide. Below are some of the benefits of staying in a hotel or ryokan with a private onsen:
- Privacy: One of the main advantages of staying in a hotel or ryokan with a private onsen is the privacy it offers. Unlike public onsens, where you have to share the bath with strangers, a private onsen allows you to relax in complete privacy. This is especially important for travelers who are not comfortable with public nudity.
- Convenience: Another benefit of staying in a hotel or ryokan with a private onsen is the convenience it provides. You don’t have to worry about getting dressed and traveling to a public onsen. Instead, you can simply relax in your room and enjoy the onsen whenever you want. This is especially convenient for travelers who have a busy itinerary and don’t have a lot of free time.
- Comfort: Private onsens are designed to provide maximum comfort and relaxation. They are usually equipped with high-quality amenities, such as soft towels, bathrobes, and slippers. Some hotels and ryokans even offer additional services, such as massages and aromatherapy, to enhance your onsen experience.
Top 5 Best Hotels or Ryokans in Kyoto with Private Onsens
Kyoto is known for its traditional Japanese inns, or ryokans, and many of them offer private onsens for guests to relax and unwind in. Here are the top 5 best hotels or ryokans in Kyoto with private onsens:
|Hotel or Ryokan||Location||Price Range||Private Onsen?|
|Suiran, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto||Arashiyama||$$$||Yes|
|Kyoto Nanzenji Ryokan Yachiyo||Sakyo||$$||Yes|
1. Hoshinoya Kyoto: Located in the scenic Arashiyama district, Hoshinoya Kyoto is a luxury ryokan that offers private onsens with stunning views of the surrounding mountains and river. Guests can also enjoy traditional Japanese cuisine and a variety of cultural experiences.
2. Hiiragiya Ryokan: This historic ryokan in the Nakagyo district has been welcoming guests for over 200 years. The rooms are decorated in traditional Japanese style and some feature private onsens. The ryokan also has a beautiful garden and serves kaiseki cuisine.
3. Suiran, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto: Another luxury option in Arashiyama, Suiran offers private onsens with views of the Hozu River. The hotel also has a spa, restaurant, and bar, and is located near many popular tourist attractions.
4. Ryokan Yoshida-sanso: This ryokan in the Sakyo district is known for its beautiful gardens and traditional Japanese architecture. Some of the rooms have private onsens and guests can enjoy kaiseki cuisine and tea ceremonies.
5. Kyoto Nanzenji Ryokan Yachiyo: This ryokan in the Sakyo district is located near the famous Nanzen-ji Temple and features private onsens in some of its rooms. Guests can also enjoy traditional Japanese cuisine and a variety of cultural experiences.
Travellers to Kyoto should consider purchasing a Japan Rail Pass or other travel passes to save money on transportation. These passes can be used on most trains, buses, and subways in Japan and can be purchased before arriving in the country.
It’s important to note that some ryokans have strict rules and etiquette that guests must follow, such as removing shoes before entering the room and wearing yukata robes provided by the ryokan. It’s important to research the specific ryokan before booking to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
The Sum Up
When it comes to finding the best hotels or ryokans in Kyoto with private onsens, there are many options to choose from. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly option or a luxurious experience, there is something for everyone.
After researching and considering various sources, it is clear that some of the top options for private onsens in Kyoto include Kyo Yunohana Resort Suisen, Kamishichiken Oku, and Momijiya Annex. These ryokans offer a unique and authentic Japanese experience, with traditional tatami rooms and private onsens.
For those looking for a more modern and upscale experience, Nazuna Kyoto Gosho and Tabitabi Stay are also great options. These hotels offer a sleek and contemporary design, while still providing private onsens for guests to enjoy.