Hakone beckons adventure seekers with its breathtaking scenery and an array of activities to indulge in. From cruising across the serene Lake Ashi to exploring the enchanting Hakone Shrine, visitors are spoilt for choice.
For a touch of European charm, Hakone Gora Park boasts vibrant flowers and picturesque bridges. And let’s not forget the hot springs, perfect for unwinding amidst nature’s embrace.
Get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey as we unveil the 15 best things to do in Hakone. Freedom awaits!
- Lake Ashi is a picturesque crater lake nestled amidst stunning Hakone mountains and offers a boat cruise or paddleboat rental.
- Hakone Shrine is a revered and enchanting destination with lush greenery, misty mountains, and vibrant torii gates.
- Hakone Gora Park is a European-style garden with colorful flowers, serene ponds, and a soothing foot bath.
- Hakone Yumoto Station is the gateway to Hakone and offers a blend of traditional and modern architecture, local cuisine, and vibrant atmosphere.
Lake Ashi is a picturesque crater lake nestled amidst the stunning Hakone mountains, making it a nature enthusiast and photographer’s paradise. With its tranquil atmosphere and breathtaking natural beauty, Lake Ashi offers a myriad of activities for those seeking freedom in the great outdoors.
Hop on a boat cruise or rent a paddleboat to explore the crystal-clear waters and soak in the surrounding scenery. Don’t miss the chance to visit the historic Hakone Shrine, a revered destination known for its vibrant torii gates and captivating path.
The serene ambiance of Lake Ashi, combined with the stunning views of Mount Fuji, creates a truly unforgettable experience. Whether you’re seeking adventure or simply want to admire the beauty of nature, Lake Ashi is the perfect destination for those who desire the freedom to explore and be amazed.
Japan Rail Pass Price Hike
Note: The Japan Rail Prices Are Going Up A Massive 62% In October 2023, But there’s still time to snap up the old prices. Klook has pledged to sell at the old prices up to September 30th. This will let you activate your pass up until December 28th 2023.
Read more About it here.
Nestled amidst the stunning Hakone mountains, Hakone Shrine is a revered and enchanting destination with lush greenery, vibrant torii gates, and exquisite architectural details. This sacred site offers a serene atmosphere and stunning views of Lake Ashi and Mount Fuji.
Here are three reasons why Hakone Shrine is a must-visit:
- Lush Greenery and Misty Mountains: As you enter the shrine grounds, you’ll be greeted by a canopy of towering trees and a sense of tranquility. The misty mountains surrounding the shrine add to its mystical charm.
- Vibrant Torii Gates and Captivating Path: The vibrant red torii gates create a striking contrast against the lush green landscape. Walking through the torii gates along the stone path feels like stepping into a different world.
- Exquisite Architectural Details: The architectural details of Hakone Shrine are truly remarkable. From the intricately carved wooden structures to the beautifully decorated roofs, every element showcases the craftsmanship and elegance of Japanese culture.
For those seeking freedom and a spiritual escape, Hakone Shrine is a place where nature and tradition intertwine, offering a peaceful retreat in the midst of breathtaking beauty.
Hakone Gora Park
Surrounded by colorful flowers and lush greenery, Hakone Gora Park offers visitors a European garden design that is perfect for a leisurely stroll or a relaxing picnic. The park features a French-style rose garden, serene ponds, picturesque bridges, and even a soothing foot bath.
It creates a tranquil ambiance that allows visitors to unwind and enjoy the beauty of nature. The park’s design and layout are meticulously maintained, providing an aesthetically pleasing experience. With its vibrant atmosphere and dynamic energy, Hakone Gora Park is an ideal destination for those seeking freedom and a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
So, grab a picnic basket, find a cozy spot, and Enjoy the serenity of this enchanting European-style garden.
|Hakone Gora Park||Features|
|European garden||– French-style rose garden|
|design||– Serene ponds|
|– Picturesque bridges|
|– Soothing foot bath|
Hakone Yumoto Station
Hakone Yumoto Station serves as the gateway to Hakone, offering a blend of traditional and modern architecture, local cuisine, and a vibrant atmosphere.
- Traditional Charm:
- The station’s architecture reflects the rich history of the area, with its wooden facades and intricate details.
- Visitors can explore the lively streets surrounding the station, where they’ll find traditional shops selling local crafts and souvenirs.
- Indulge in a variety of local delicacies, from steaming bowls of Hakone ramen to freshly baked manju (sweet buns).
- Modern Convenience:
- The station is equipped with modern amenities, including tourist information centers and ticket counters for the Hakone Tozan Railway.
- Grab a quick bite at one of the charming cafes or restaurants, offering a fusion of local and international cuisines.
- Experience the dynamic energy of the station, as travelers from all over the world come and go, creating a lively and cosmopolitan atmosphere.
- Starting Point for Adventure:
- Explore the wonders of Hakone by hopping on the Hakone Tozan Railway, which takes you through breathtaking landscapes and past iconic landmarks.
- Take a leisurely stroll around the station, soaking in the vibrant atmosphere and discovering hidden gems.
- Enjoy the freedom of Hakone, where every corner offers a new adventure and the spirit of exploration is embraced.
Yoshiike Ryokan Garden
Visitors to Yoshiike Ryokan Garden can enjoy meticulously manicured landscapes, seasonal flowers, and traditional stone lanterns. This serene retreat in the heart of Hakone offers a tranquil escape from the bustling world.
As you wander through the garden, you’ll be greeted by breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, creating a sense of peace and harmony. Enjoy the beauty of nature as you witness the vibrant colors and delicate fragrances of the flowers in bloom.
Take a moment to appreciate the artistry and attention to detail that goes into maintaining this enchanting oasis. And for those seeking a taste of tradition, indulge in a traditional tea ceremony and savor a kaiseki meal, a culinary delight that showcases the finest seasonal ingredients.
Yoshiike Ryokan Garden is a haven for those seeking freedom from the ordinary and a chance to reconnect with nature’s beauty.
Hakone Open-Air Museum
Located in the scenic Hakone region, the Hakone Open-Air Museum showcases an impressive collection of sculptures by renowned artists in beautifully landscaped gardens. This outdoor art museum is a haven for art enthusiasts and nature lovers alike.
Here’s what you can expect when you visit:
- Sculptures Galore:
- Marvel at the works of famous artists like Picasso and Rodin.
- Discover a diverse range of styles and materials.
- Be captivated by the creativity and artistry on display.
- Serene Gardens:
- Wander through meticulously maintained gardens.
- Enjoy the harmony between art and nature.
- Find peace and tranquility amidst the lush surroundings.
- Interactive Exhibits:
- Engage with art through interactive installations.
- Let your imagination run wild in the Children’s Art Museum.
- Explore the Picasso Pavilion and Symphonic Sculpture.
With its stunning sculptures, picturesque gardens, and interactive exhibits, the Hakone Open-Air Museum offers a liberating experience where art and nature intertwine.
Nestled in a unique volcanic valley, Owakudani offers visitors a steamy atmosphere and panoramic views of Mount Fuji and Lake Ashi. It’s like stepping into a mystical world of swirling steam and bubbling hot springs.
But what makes Owakudani truly special is its black eggs. Yes, you heard that right. These eggs are boiled in the sulfuric hot springs, giving them a striking black color and a distinctive taste. Legend has it that eating one of these eggs will add seven years to your life. So why not give it a try?
As you hike through the trails and explore the nature walks, you’ll feel a sense of freedom and liberation. Owakudani is the perfect escape for those seeking an adventure and a taste of Hakone’s unique charm.
The Hakone Ropeway offers a scenic cable car ride with panoramic views of Mount Fuji and Owakudani. Hop aboard and prepare to be amazed as you ascend to new heights and take in the breathtaking beauty of the surrounding landscapes.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Sweeping Views: Feast your eyes on the majestic Mount Fuji, towering in all its glory. The cable car provides the perfect vantage point to capture this iconic sight.
- Owakudani Delight: Marvel at the unique landscape of Owakudani, with its active sulfur vents and steamy atmosphere. It’s like stepping into another world.
- Nature Exploration: Enjoy the natural wonders of Hakone as you journey through lush forests and capture the essence of this picturesque region.
Hakone Pirate Ship
Embark on a relaxing and picturesque experience aboard the iconic Hakone Pirate Ship as you enjoy stunning views of Lake Ashi. This pirate-themed boat cruise offers a unique and convenient way to explore the beautiful Hakone region. With its convenient transportation between attractions, the Hakone Pirate Ship allows you to effortlessly navigate from one point of interest to another while taking in the breathtaking scenery.
To emphasize the appeal of the Hakone Pirate Ship, here’s a table showcasing some of its key features:
|Key Features of Hakone Pirate Ship|
|Pirate-themed ships with stunning views|
|Convenient transportation between attractions|
|Sunset cruises and fireworks displays|
|Relaxing and picturesque experience|
Whether you choose to embark on a daytime cruise or indulge in the romantic ambiance of a sunset cruise, the Hakone Pirate Ship promises an unforgettable experience. So hop aboard and let the wind tousle your hair as you soak in the freedom and beauty of Lake Ashi.
Hakone Venetian Glass Museum
Visitors to Hakone can enjoy the beauty and artistry of Venetian glass at the Hakone Venetian Glass Museum. Nestled amidst the scenic Hakone mountains, this museum offers a captivating experience.
Here’s what awaits you:
- Glassblowing demonstrations that will leave you in awe of the skill and precision involved in creating these delicate masterpieces.
- A stunning collection of Venetian glass art, showcasing the intricate designs and vibrant colors that have made this art form famous.
- Beautiful gardens adorned with sculptures, providing a serene backdrop for your exploration.
As you wander through the museum, you’ll have the chance to admire the craftsmanship of glass jewelry and souvenirs. And when you need a break, the charming cafe offers panoramic views where you can relax and reflect on the beauty of this unique art form.
Hakone Museum of Art
Nestled amidst the natural beauty of Hakone, the Hakone Museum of Art showcases a collection of traditional Japanese ceramics and paintings. This hidden gem is a haven for art lovers and culture enthusiasts seeking a taste of Japan’s rich artistic heritage.
The museum’s exquisite gardens and tea house provide the perfect backdrop for contemplating the delicate beauty of the artworks on display. With seasonal exhibitions and cultural events, the Hakone Museum of Art offers a dynamic and ever-changing experience for visitors.
From art workshops and classes to the opportunity to witness the mastery of Japanese artisans, this museum celebrates the freedom of artistic expression. So, whether you’re a connoisseur or simply curious, Enjoy the world of Japanese art at the Hakone Museum of Art and let your creativity soar.
Hakone Botanical Garden of Wetlands
The Hakone Botanical Garden of Wetlands offers nature enthusiasts a chance to explore diverse plant species in an ecological garden surrounded by wetlands and marshes. It’s a haven for those seeking a deeper connection with nature and a desire to learn about the intricate web of life.
Here’s what you can expect at this enchanting garden:
- Tranquil Boardwalks: Take a leisurely stroll along the boardwalks that wind through the wetlands, allowing you to observe the delicate balance of flora and fauna.
- Nature Trails: Embark on an adventure through the nature trails, immersing yourself in the lush greenery and discovering hidden treasures along the way.
- Educational Exhibits: Engage your mind with the educational exhibits that provide insights into the importance of wetlands and their role in supporting biodiversity.
With its breathtaking surroundings and captivating plant life, the Hakone Botanical Garden of Wetlands is a sanctuary of freedom and a gateway to a world of natural wonders.
Hakone Checkpoint Museum
Located in the heart of Hakone, the Hakone Checkpoint Museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the history and culture of the Edo period. Restored guardhouses, interactive displays, and exhibitions on samurai culture provide an immersive experience for visitors.
Step back in time as you explore the museum’s collection of traditional costumes and weapons, and learn about the intricate customs and rituals of the samurai. The museum’s interactive displays bring history to life, allowing visitors to experience what it was like to be a guard at the checkpoint.
A 2-column, 3-row table adds a level of sophistication to the museum, showcasing artifacts and providing additional information on the Edo period.
Whether you’re a history buff or simply curious about Japan’s rich cultural heritage, the Hakone Checkpoint Museum is a must-visit destination for those seeking a deeper understanding of the Edo period.
Hakone Outdoor Activities
Leaving behind the historical intrigue of the Hakone Checkpoint Museum, adventure-seekers and nature enthusiasts alike will find themselves drawn to the plethora of outdoor activities awaiting them in Hakone. With its stunning landscapes and diverse natural beauty, this enchanting destination offers a playground for those looking to enjoy the great outdoors.
Here are some of the best outdoor activities to explore in Hakone:
- Hiking and nature walks: Traverse the winding trails that lead through lush forests and alongside cascading waterfalls, immersing yourself in the serenity of nature.
- Mountain biking and cycling: Feel the wind in your hair as you pedal through Hakone’s picturesque scenery, enjoying the exhilaration of exploring on two wheels.
- Canoeing and kayaking on Lake Ashi: Glide across the crystal-clear waters of Lake Ashi, taking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding Hakone mountains.
- Paragliding and zip-lining: Soar through the sky and experience an adrenaline rush like no other, marveling at the awe-inspiring landscapes from above.
- Fishing and camping in the surrounding area: Cast your line and try your luck at catching a fresh fish, then unwind and connect with nature by camping under the starry night sky.
In Hakone, the possibilities for outdoor adventure are as expansive as the beauty that surrounds you. So, grab your gear and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through this natural wonderland. Freedom awaits in the great outdoors of Hakone!
Hakone Tozan Railway
Travelers can enjoy the scenic beauty of Hakone by embarking on a journey through the Hakone Tozan Railway. This iconic attraction offers a unique and unforgettable experience as it winds its way through lush forests and waterfalls.
As you sit back and enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding natural beauty, you’ll feel a sense of freedom and adventure. The most thrilling part of the ride is the Switchback Railway section, where the train navigates through steep slopes and tight curves. It’s like being on a roller coaster, but with breathtaking scenery as your backdrop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Activities for Children at the Hakone Open-Air Museum?
Yes, there are activities for children at the Hakone Open-Air Museum. They can explore the outdoor art exhibits, visit the Children’s Art Museum with interactive exhibits, and enjoy the beautifully landscaped gardens.
Is There a Fee to Enter the Hakone Botanical Garden of Wetlands?
Yes, there is a fee to enter the Hakone Botanical Garden of Wetlands. Visitors can explore the ecological garden, wetlands, and boardwalks for a fee. It’s a great place for nature enthusiasts and guided tours are available.
Can You Swim in Lake Ashi?
Yes, you can swim in Lake Ashi. It offers a refreshing escape from the summer heat. The clear waters and stunning mountain backdrop make it a perfect spot for a leisurely swim.
How Long Is the Hakone Tozan Railway Ride?
The Hakone Tozan Railway offers a unique and unforgettable experience with its winding railway through lush forests and waterfalls. The ride provides panoramic views of the surrounding natural beauty, including a thrilling Switchback Railway section.
Are There Any Restrictions or Guidelines for Using the Hot Springs in Hakone?
There are no specific restrictions or guidelines for using the hot springs in Hakone. Visitors are free to enjoy the restorative powers of the thermal springs, surrounded by the natural beauty of the area.
The Sum Up
To sum it up, Hakone is a hidden gem for nature enthusiasts and photographers alike. With its stunning landscapes, picturesque attractions, and abundance of outdoor activities, there is never a dull moment in this charming destination.
Whether it’s cruising on Lake Ashi, exploring the enchanting Hakone Shrine, or strolling through the colorful Hakone Gora Park, visitors are sure to be captivated by the beauty that surrounds them.
And let’s not forget about the ultimate relaxation experience provided by the hot springs. Hakone truly offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and cultural charm.